Login Register

Sharks hooked after two-year hunt

By MK News  |  Posted: December 12, 2007

Comments (0)

MK Lions 89

New 20, Y. Williams 17, Griffin/Windless 10

London Capital 70

F Williams 20, Bradley 13, Miller 11

Sheffield Sharks 69

McKeithan 19, Virgil 17, Lyons 9

MK Lions 80

Williams 23, Brown 12, Windless 9
The Lions ended their two year barren spell against Sheffield Sharks to stay level on points with BBL leaders Newcastle Eagles.

MK had moved two points clear midweek following a convincing win over London Capital but the Eagles caught up at the weekend with two victories of their own.

On Wednesday, Shawn Jamison got the Lions on the score board either side of a Capital free throw as the match began to take some shape.

Once again Terrell Brown, who grabbed an early basket, was making life for the opposition hard with his darting runs and tricky off loads.

Minutes before the break Yorick Williams entered the fray with immediate impact as he netted a three-pointer to give the Lions a 22-14 cushion.

Vince Macauley's men were dominating in fine fashion with a 9-3 run at the start of the second period and when Kevin Griffin his triple sparked a 14-2 burst to leave their guests trailing 45-24.

Capital's Fred Williams looked like a man on a mission when they took to the court in the third with two baskets in reply to Mike New's score. They were able to narrow the margin yet still trailed 67- 48.

Williams appeared to be having an off night until he found his shooting touch in the final ten minutes, paired with Spink's fine throwing from the free-throw line kept the Lions well ahead to end the game 19 points clear and send the Lions two points clear.

Against the Sharks Jamison created back-to-back baskets to make the score 6-11, only for the hosts to respond through an Alto Virgil three-pointer and two baskets from McKeithan to snatch the lead at 13-11.

However, the Lions scored the last 8 points of the first period, 5 from Brown and a triple from Williams, to gain a 15-21 advantage.

Locker Okorie narrowed the gap with a put-back that made it 24-27 in the second, but Williams was there again with a three-pointer to spark a 15-6 run that sent the Lions into the half 31-42 in front.

A 26-16 third quarter pushed the lead out further, and Williams settled the game with a triple to end the third stanza with a score of 47-68. Whilst the Sharks narrowed the gap late on, they could not threaten the Lions lead.

The lions travel to Guildford Heat for the cup semi-final tie on Saturday, tip-off is at 4pm and on Sunday they Plymouth Raiders, tip-off at 4pm.

Read more from MK News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters